What to do on a rainy day in the summer? We woke up this morning to thunderstorms and rain. During breakfast the girls asked me if it was supposed to rain all day. Yes, 80% chance of thunderstorms. "Boo!!!" came from all of them. Now my job is to get creative and find something for us to do.
We played hair dresser but that quickly became boring to them. Go figure! So, then we did some drawings. Yikes, it is only 10:30 am I better get cracking and find something to occupy these monkeys. Why is it that on the days you can't go outside the kids are super hyper?
So, off to the aquarium we go. What fun! The girls love watching the fish and pretending to be explorers. We watched the scuba diver feed the fish in the big tank. The girls all enjoyed the touch tank and holding sea urchins! The favorite of the day was definitely the albino alligator. Then of course on our way home we stopped at Whole Foods for a treat. A great way to end our day.
After our fun but pricey adventure I decided to come up with a list of rainy day freebies:
1. Built blanket forts in the living room.
2. Let the kids draw and then hang up their work and have an art walk. Kids love to show off their masterpieces.
3. Have a game-a-thon. Get out all the board games and have fun.
4. A favorite movie and of course popcorn :-)
5. Play chefs: Let the kids pick something fun to cook. There are some terrific kids cookbooks out there.
6. Have an indoor picnic
7. Have kids make a scrapbook about themselves
8. Make an indoor obstacle course
I will certainly try these on our next day inside. Looking at this week's forecast, I will get a chance to try very soon!
Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain. ~ Author Unknown
Hi I'm Jen, married to my best friend for 15 1/2 years and a Mom to 3 beautiful, energetic girls. This blog is about life, learning to live with Grace and Girls Raised In The South (GRITS). Thanks for spending some time in my small part of the world! I hope you find a story you can relate to and you'll want to come back!
Follow us by: